Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

Animal Health Certificates - Answers to FAQs

Planning to travel out of state, or even out of the country with your large animal? Or maybe you have sold a large animal and it's time to ship. Either way, you will need to acquire the necessary animal health certificates before the journey begins. Our Gillette vets explain why you need these important health certificates and how to get one for your large animal.

Who can issue Health Certificates for large animals?

You may think that any licensed veterinarian is qualified to issue health certificates for their patients, but that is actually not the case.

While it is true that all licensed vets have the opportunity to become qualified to issue health certificates, not all vets decide to take on additional training required.

Accreditation in issuing health certificates has to come through the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA's) National Veterinary Accreditation Program (NVAP). NVAP-accredited vets may perform testing for government disease programs and are authorized to prepare Official Certificates of Veterinary Inspection, or "health certificates" which are required for owners to transport their animals across state or national borders.  

Why do I need Health Certifications for my animals?

All livestock (including horses, cows and goats) brought into a state must be accompanied by an official health certificate stating that each animal is healthy, free from signs of infectious or contagious diseases and any signs of internal and external parasites, and meet the specific requirements stated in this regulation.

The certifications required to transport animals from one area to another, or for animals to participate in certain events, such as specific shows, rides, or sales, help to ensure that the animals being moved do not carry illnesses or parasites that would be harmful to the people or animals that are in the destination area or that are participating in the same event.

How long are Health Certificates valid?

It's important to note that health certificates are only valid for 30 days. So if you are planning to travel with your horse or other farm animals, it is vitally important that you plan ahead. Be sure to contact your large animal veterinarian well ahead of time to book your animal's certification health inspection.

Which certifications does my animal need?

Every state, and country has different regulations and requirements so there is no easy answer to this question. In order to know exactly what certifications your animal will need you will have to do some research. 

A helpful resource for information about animal movement requirements is the state animal health official (usually the State Veterinarian) in the state that you are traveling to. The animal health official of each state needs to be a standing member of the United States Animal Health Association (USAHA).

If you would like more details about required health certifications, or clarifications on your state's requirements speak to your veterinarian. Your vet will be able to help direct you to the right resources in order to help make this task a little easier.

Our Gillette veterinarians are NVAP-accredited and able to issue interstate health certificates. Contact Red Hills Veterinary Hospital today to book appointment.

New Patients Welcome

Red Hills Veterinary Hospital is accepting new patients! Our experienced vets are passionate about the health of Gillette companion animals. Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.

Contact Us

Book Online (307) 696-2525